When I began cooking in California BBQ competitions in the mid-90’s I always tried to separate myself from my competitors by being different. Back then, marinating chicken in your favorite Italian dressing was the hot ticket. I performed well using this simple marinade and cooking technique:
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 2 TBL Lemon Juice
- 1 TBL Your favorite BBQ rub
- Blend yogurt, lemon juice and marinade together.
- Trim eight (8) skin on chicken thighs.
- Brush on marinade on chicken thighs.
- Put thighs in a one (1) gallon baggie. Seal and marinade in refrigerator at least four (4) hours. I like marinade overnight.
- Remove chicken and wipe marinade off of the chicken.
- Season lightly with favorite BBQ rub.
- Prepare two (2) zone fire in your pit.
- When pit is 275 degrees place chicken on indirect heat skin side up. Cook between 250-275 degrees.
- Check thighs after half an hour of cooking.
- Begin misting with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter as the bark (crust) sets.
- Turn chicken 180 degrees and cook half another hour.
- Turn chicken 180 degrees, check temperature with a thermometer (I use Thermapen).
- Begin misting chicken with favorite spritz (I like 1cup apple juice and 1 cap full of whiskey).
- Cook chicken to an internal temperature of 180 degrees and remove chicken.
- You now have an option of saucing or not saucing. If saucing, brush on sauce return to direct heat for a light char.
- Remove from heat, tent, rest ten (10) minutes, and enjoy!
Copyright 2021 The Rib Doctor, Inc.